What is new in this update?
- • Added eye-detection AF for use when taking photographs. To enable eye-detection AF, select:
- – AF-S or AF-C for Focus mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
- – Auto-area AF for AF-area mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
- – Face and eye detection on for Custom Setting a4 (Auto-area AF face/eye detection) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU
If the camera detects the face of a portrait subject, the face will be enclosed in an amber border indicating the focus point. If the subject’s eyes are detected, an amber border indicating the focus point will appear around either eye. If the camera detects more than one face or eye, triangles will appear to either side of the focus point; to position the focus point over a different face or eye, press the multi- or sub-selector left or right.
- • Improved autofocus performance for photos and movies shot under low light: -3.5 – 19 EV (low light autofocus -6 – 19 EV), measured in photo mode with single-servo AF (AF-S) at ISO 100 and 20°C with an f/2 lens.
- • The following improvements have been made to the Continuous H (extended) option for Release mode:
- – Not only focus but now also exposure will respond to changes in the subject during shooting
- – The burst shooting display after the memory buffer fills is now easier to read
- • Reduced the length of time the display turns off (the blackout period) when pictures are taken with On or On (monitor only)selected for Image review in the PLAYBACK MENU.
- • Item d5 in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU, formerly Electronic front-curtain shutter, has been renamed Shutter type and offers a choice of Auto, Mechanical shutter, and Electronic front-curtain shutter. If Auto is selected, the camera will automatically choose a shutter type according to shutter speed.
- • Changed the color the focus point turns when the AF-ON button is pressed or the shutter-release button is pressed halfway with Auto-area AF selected and face detection or target tracking active.
- • Edited and revised help text.
- • Fixed the following issues:
- – The camera would stop responding if certain operations were performed while HDMI output was in progress with 3840 x 2160 (4K UHD) selected for frame size.
- – The value selected for maximum sensitivity would sometimes be exceeded during movie recording in mode M with Onselected for Auto ISO control (mode M) if Active D-Lighting was enabled.
- – The items in My Menu would sometimes not display correctly.
Eye-Detection AF is useful for portrait photography but not essential. In my testing, I found it reliable with good focus accuracy. The Eye-Detection AF works in AF-S which is good when photographing still subjects, but also with the AF-C (Continuous AF) focus mode, which is effective when photographing subjects that change their pose or move frequently. The new Eye Detect function is capable of finding multiple eyes (additional persons) from which you can select, this gives me greater flexibility when photographing multiple people in a wedding scenario.
Increased AF/AE performance
AE (auto exposure) tracking is possible in continuous high-speed (extended) mode, in addition to the AF tracking that existed previously. Now, this is what I am most interested, low-light AF performance is much improved! It can catch my subjects more precisely when the light is low, even in the studio. A very welcomed update!
You will need an XQD card reader and for Mac users follow these steps.
- Download F-Z6-V200M.dmg.
- Double-click the F-Z6-V200M.dmg icon to mount a disk image containing a folder named “Z6Update”, which in turn contains the following file:
• Z_6_0200.bin (the camera firmware)
- Using an XQD card reader, copy “Z_6_0200.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.
Note: Be sure to copy the firmware to the root (top-most) directory of the memory card. The camera will not recognize the new firmware if it is placed in a folder under the root directory.
- Insert the memory card into the camera and turn the camera on.
- Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.
- Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
- Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version.
To download your firmware visit this site https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/index.html
To see more information on how to download and install this update, download the Nikon Instructions.PDF